Neuro-optometry is a specialty field of vision care that combines neurology and optometry to assess how the brain processes information sent from the eyes. When communication between your brain and eyes is disrupted due to injury or disease, vision problems usually occur. Neuro-optometric services are provided to individuals who have vision related problems associated with neurological disease, trauma, metabolic or congenital conditions. When the visual system is disturbed neurologically, it can adversely affect activities of daily living for both children and adults.
All patients suffering from neurological disease, trauma or conditions should be referred to a doctor of optometry for a comprehensive eye and neuro-optometric services.
Neuro-optometric services include:
- Comprehensive evaluations of sensory motor, visual field, accommodative, and oculomotor function
- Visual processing evaluations.
- Ocular health examinations
- Special testing, such as electro-diagnostic services
- Therapy options
- Coordination of care with other health care professionals and rehabilitation specialists, such as occupational, physical and speech therapist